Andrew practices in personal injury, coronial law, clinical negligence, housing and residential property.
He acts for Claimants and Defendants across the range of cases, drawing on 25 years’ experience as a practitioner. Andrew is a former Assistant Coroner and a former Judge of the First Tier Tribunal (Property Chamber).
Away from the Bar, his interests include reading, cinema and rowing. He is passionate about music and is the drummer in a disco/funk covers band.
Andrew has extensive experience of personal injury and related claims for and against individuals, companies, agencies, local authorities and employers.
His practice generally includes claims involving catastrophic and fatal injuries, attacks on staff by patients or students in secure and educational environments, serious road traffic claims and highways matters.
He has been involved in the resolution of many cases by joint settlement meeting, including multi-million pound personal injury claims.
He frequently delivers lectures on a variety of personal injury related topics to solicitors and insurance companies.
Andrew has considerable experience of all aspects of industrial disease litigation including noise-induced hearing loss, work related upper limb disorders (including hand-arm vibration syndrome), asbestos-related and sensitising agents.
He frequently and regularly deals with related arguments concerning limitation of action.
He has lectured extensively to solicitors on industrial disease litigation.
Andrew advises and represents in clinical negligence cases relating to incorrect or late diagnosis; and negligently performed surgery.
Andrew has significant experience of all aspects of the jurisdiction of the Coroner’s Court including deaths in the workplace; in secure environments; intra and post operatively; in healthcare and nursing environments; and mass disaster / disaster victim identification.
He delivers lectures regarding the jurisdiction of the Coroner’s Court to the Institute of Safety and Health and to local government.
- Accredited Mediator
- Former Assistant Coroner (Nottinghamshire)
- Former Judge of the First Tier Tribunal (Property Chamber)
- Personal Injuries Bar Association
- Professional Negligence Bar Association
- Housing Law Practitioners' Association
- BA (History), University of Southampton; LLB, University of Leeds
- Newark and Sherwood Homes v Gorman  EWCA Civ 764: Challenging an order declaring on a preliminary issue the council had elected to operate an introductory tenancy regime for the purposes of Section 124 of the 1996 Act and that the tenancy granted by the respondent to the appellant was an introductory tenancy for the purposes of part V of the 1996 Act.
- Michelle Draycott (2) Paul Maxwell Draycott v Hannells Letting Limited (T/A Hannells Letting Agents)  EWHC 217 (QB); 3 All ER 411 (2010); HLR 27 (2010); L & TR 12 (2010); NPC 18; (2011) 1 WLR 1606: First Divisional Court appeal involving the Tenancy Deposit Scheme created by the Housing Act 2004.
- R (on the application of (1) AB (2) SB) v Nottingham City Council  EWCA Admin 235: Judicial review proceedings involving a core assessment of a child and his mother’s needs, Children Act and NHS & Community Care Act, against the backdrop of alleged anti-social behaviour on the part of the child.
- Longhurst Homes Limited v Dean Killen  EWCA 402: Appeal against a committal to prison arising from breach of an anti-social behaviour injunction.
- R v Criminal Injuries Compensation Appeals Panel, Ex Parte Bennett, Independent, October 2, 2000: Judicial Review of the CICAP’s interpretation of the notion of a ‘disabling mental condition’ for the purposes of the CICA’s tariff.
"He is great with witnesses, really knows how to put them at ease. A great advocate - has got some great concessions from witnesses. Is able to cut through and see the key issues."
Legal 500 2022 - Personal injury
Excellent with clients." “A superb advocate."
Chambers & Partners 2021 - Personal injury
“An excellent advocate who is great with witnesses and provides reliable, good quality advice.”
“A reliable advocate whose clients warm to his personable nature.”
Legal 500 2021 - Personal injury and property & construction
"His attention to detail is excellent and his cross-examining style is robust and penetrative." "He is just excellent; he has a good rapport with everybody and a very good manner in court. He's well organised and can turn his hand to just about anything." "He's brilliant with clients and is a very strong advocate." "Very quick off the mark."
Chambers & Partners 2020 - Social housing and personal injury
"His pleading and advice are excellent."
Legal 500 2020 - Personal injury & property
"Very knowledgeable and always on top of the case." "Friendly, persuasive and a good advocate." arguments." "He's very assured and straightforward, and has a very pleasant manner with clients." "When he's cross-examining he's relentless, while also being very professional and very good with witnesses."
Chambers & Partners 2019 - Social housing and personal injury
"He is redoubtable in a trial." "He quickly grasps complex issues."
Legal 500 2019 - Personal injury & clinical negligence and property
"A well-respected barrister."
Legal 500 2017 - Regulatory, health and safety and licensing
"Skilled at analysing complicated claims."
Legal 500 2017 - Personal injury and clinical negligence
"Expertise in the full spectrum of personal injury matters including industrial disease and employers' liability claims. He assists both Claimants and Defendants. He has marked expertise in cases relating to violence in the education and healthcare sectors." "He is quick to pick up the phone and chat through papers."
Chambers & Partners 2017 - Personal injury
"Pragmatic, honest, professional and well respected."
Legal 500 2016 - Personal injury and clinical negligence
"His tactical awareness is always spot on."
Legal 500 2016 - Property
"Expertise in the full spectrum of personal injury matters including industrial disease and employers' liability claims. He assists both Claimants and Defendants." "Very good at explaining matters to clients. He is reliable and goes the extra mile."
Chambers & Partners 2016 - Personal injury
"Advises on homelessness policy, introductory tenancy schemes and right-to-buy for landlords, local councils and tenants. He also sits as a judge of the First-tier Tribunal and is an assistant coroner for Nottinghamshire." "He has vast experience with both tenants and local authorities." "Very good in court in terms of cross-examination of witnesses and attention to detail."
Chambers & Partners 2016 - Social housing
"Good technical knowledge and easy to work with."
Legal 500 2015 - Personal injury and clinical negligence
"Very approachable and an impressive advocate."
Legal 500 2015 - Property
"He exudes confidence in what he is saying. He is not easily put off his stride and he is very sure of how he delivers his arguments."
Chambers & Partners 2015 - Social housing
"He's an outstanding barrister and I would recommend him to anybody. He got to the nub of the issues involved in the case very quickly." "He is tough and no-nonsense; he knows what he's doing."
Chambers & Partners 2014 - Personal injury
"He is excellent. He's one of those people who knows how to pick a good argument from a bad one, and how to make an argument far more attractive to judges."
Chambers & Partners 2014 - Social housing